Anne at http://acupofteawithanne.blogspot.com/ asked to see how the quilted Advent Calender is going. So here is a peek at what is turning out to be one of the most difficult little projects of the season.
I started with some sew in printer fabric. It is the kind that you :copy images from your computer, print them onto the fabric and then insert into your project. The picture of baby Jesus is from a really old book that was a gift a few years ago from my parents. I sewed strips of fabric together, cut them up, turned them around and then sewed them together again onto the sides and top and bottom of the panel. It just so happened that there are twelve rectangles on each side of the image, which, if you know anything about sewing, is something I should've made sure of before I even started this endeavor. The strips of white fabric for the pockets are cut from an old linen tablecloth and will each be embroidered with numbers 1~24 and the 25th pocket will be sewn on the middle panel just below the picture. The picture panel is backed with a square of cotton batting for embroidering and I will use cream colored cotton flannel for the back of the quilt. The sequins are to embellish the night sky and will be hand sewn into place and finally the blue rick-rack is for loops that will be sewn on the top for hanging.
When (or rather if) I (ever) finish the pockets, I intend to print out scripture verses onto card stock and insert them in each little pocket for our daily Advent readings. Hopefully you get the gist of what my plans are from the pictures above and I am not babbling too much!
One way to make this project a little easier would be to sew 12 pockets for the Twelve Days of Christmas, perhaps even just for the O Antiphons.............It's not always good to be too ambitious! I tend to think "big" and then wonder what have I gotten myself in to! If you don't hear from me for a while you'll know it is because my fingers fell off from embroidering all of those numbers onto the little pockets!