Tuesday, November 18, 2008

the winter purse

The winter purse is waiting to be finished. The yarn has all the colors of fall and winter beautifully woven into it. I started it in the summer when my grandmother got sick. We spent many long nights waiting in the hospital while doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with her, the children were home with my husband and my fingers needed something to do. Finally, she was moved to a nursing home after a pacemaker was implanted, she had congestive heart failure. It was so hard to see this independent little woman who loved gardening and cooking so much, reduced to hospital beds and
nursing homes.
Sometimes when I went to visit, she was usually so sedated that I 'd just sit there and crochet quietly, listening to her breathing.
Last night that same little woman was here as we celebrated my mother's 52nd birthday.
She helped me with the food, she happily indulged on a piece of Mocha Almond Fudge
icecream cake, it was a wonderful evening.
After we were all finished with dinner I sat on the couch, listening to all of the conversations going on around me as I worked a few lines of new stitches. The voices were all of the people I love the most, my husband, my parents, my children, my grandma, what music to my ears......
It is time to finish that purse so that my memories associated with this project will be much happier than when I started it.
The rhythms of my sewing tend to flow with the rythms of my life, is it so for you too?